Wednesday, June 2, 2010

PRIDE

When Pride is in Our Lives


Ephesians 4:18 NIV: They are darkened in their understanding and separated from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them due to the hardening of their hearts.

It has been said that in order to be a good teacher, one must first be a good student. A Christian cannot lead unless willing first to be led.

 We must humble ourselves before Christ, as His disciple (or student). We must also be willing to humble ourselves before other Christians; and sometimes other people we do not believe we should have to listen to.

It is so very often pride that prevents us from learning. Like a young teen, we are sometimes with Jesus--assuring Him that we know the answer, or that we need no help for a particular task. Pride is perhaps the greatest obstruction to learning.

But when it is replaced with a humble attitude, then the disciple is open to receive so much from God, and in ways and places completely unexpected. It is truly amazing how useful the eyes of the soul can be, once pride is removed from the pupil.

How is your “Pride” today?

 
Pride may be either good or evil. Pride is good when it gives proper respect to someone or something. Pride is evil when it places too high a value on oneself (Romans 12:3). People who have such pride are vain. They stop depending on God and start depending on themselves.

I give thanks to You, heavenly Father, for protecting me through the night and granting me another day. I ask You to fortify me with the grace of Your Holy Spirit, and give Your peace to my soul, that I may be free from all needless anxiety and worry. Help me to desire always that which is pleasing and acceptable to You, so that Your will may be my will. Today, make known to me, and take from my heart, every kind, form and degree of pride.Today, empty me of self, and awaken in me the deepest depth and truth of that humility which can make me capable of your revealing light. This I ask in the name of Jesus Christ, the exemplar of humility.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment