Monday, August 27, 2012

His Eye Is on the Sparrow


Today’s Scripture: Matthew 10:29-31

“Are not two sparrows sold for a cent? And yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So do not fear; you are more valuable than many sparrows.”

Words of Devotion

W. Stillman Martin served several churches throughout the United States. He also was a professor at Atlantic Christian College in Wilson, North Carolina, and conducted Bible conferences and evangelistic meetings. Together with his wife, Civilla, he wrote many Gospel songs.

In 1905, while staying in Elmira, New York, the Martins became friends with a couple who experienced severe problems. The wife had been bedridden for 20 years, and the husband was an “incurable cripple who had to propel himself to and from his business in a wheelchair.” Even though they faced these problems, “they lived happy Christian lives, bringing inspiration and comfort to all who knew them.”

When asked the secret of their happiness, the wife replied, “His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.” Inspired by this comment, the Martins wrote a hymn, “His Eye Is on the Sparrow.”

They wrote, “Why should I feel discouraged, why should the shadows come, why should my heart be lonely?” They knew that “Jesus is my portion.” He is “my constant friend,” for “His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.”

Confident in God’s care, they wrote words that overflowed with joy. They could sing because they were happy and free. “For His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.” They knew that what Jesus taught was true: They could trust in God completely.



Today, don’t let your life be plagued by worry and fear. Trust in God, no matter what you face. Commit your needs to Him. You can sing and be happy. His eye is on you!




Today’s Prayer: Father, thank You for taking my worries away. I know that You are watching over me. I commit every situation I face to You. Thank You for Your joy and peace. In Jesus’ name  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment