Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Vertical to Horizontal Relationships


Today’s Text: Philippians 3:7-8

But whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ.  Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ.

Words of Devotion

We can often get caught up in the relationships of our lives.  They might be with a spouse or loved one, maybe a good friend, or even someone we disciple.  Should these relationships be the most important things to us?  

From the verse we have for today, probably not.  Our goal in life should be knowing Christ above everything and from there letting Jesus affect our relationships. In essence, we should first work on our vertical relationship and then let the love of that relationship influence the horizontal relationships we have with those around us. Here are a few questions for you to ask yourself as you meditate on this verse today:

  1. What would my life and ministry look like if I focused on my vertical relationship first and then learned to bend that vertical fruit of love to all of my horizontal relationships?

     2. Is the life I’m living, the family we’re growing, the relationships I’m building, and the ministry I’m starting all really about Jesus?


  3. Am I trying to pray God into my agenda and my plans or am I faithfully responding to who He is and what He’s doing?

     4. What if following God’s path leads to greater suffering and sacrifice than I anticipated- is Jesus worth that much to me?

    5. Is everything in my horizontal life the overflow of a vibrant vertical love relationship with Jesus?

No comments:

Post a Comment