Friday, May 25, 2012

A Call from the Throne: Here I am Send me


Today’s Text: Isaiah 6:1-13

And I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?” Then I said, “Here I am! Send me.

Words of Devotion

“Here I am! Send me.” These words are among the most popular of Old Testament texts. Often, they are taught in a motivational light in an attempt to inspire people to step up and serve. Sadly, what is frequently left out is the mission that Isaiah was volunteering for. But God doesn’t treat us like that. He doesn’t try to hide our mission and message from us before we’re sent, He’s straightforward. Isaiah was going to be an unpopular preacher with an unpopular message. Essentially, God instructed Isaiah:

 “Yes, go, and say to this people,
‘Listen carefully, but do not understand.
    Watch closely, but learn nothing.’
 Harden the hearts of these people.
    Plug their ears and shut their eyes.
That way, they will not see with their eyes,
    nor hear with their ears,
nor understand with their hearts
    and turn to me for healing.” (Vrs 9-10)


The commentator Matthew Henry wrote of this passage, “There are many who hear the sound of God’s word, but do not feel the power of it.” There are a few hard lessons to be learned here. For starters, God’s word doesn’t only soften us, it also hardens us. Those Isaiah was called to speak God’s words to, were going to be willfully obstinate and therefore hard toward the truth. What do you think his conversion rate was? By our standards today, would we hold Isaiah up as a picture of ministerial success? Or would we cast him aside as unloving and non-anointed? What this encounter with God should teach us is that first and foremost our success should be judged by obedience and not by immediate results. Obedience to God will most certainly produce fruit, but we may not always be able to see it right away. Let your life be defined by obedience rather than expedience.”

So is God speaking to you? Are willing to listen? Are you willing to obey God’s instructions?

Today listen for God’s voice, and like Isaiah, say, “Here I am Send me”.

No comments:

Post a Comment