Tuesday, July 19, 2011

A Thirst for God


Today’s Text Comes from:

Psalm 63:1-8

O God, you are my God; I earnestly search for you. My soul thirsts for you; my whole body longs for you in this parched and weary land where there is no water. I have seen you in your sanctuary and gazed upon your power and glory. Your unfailing love is better than life itself; how I praise you! I will praise you as long as I live, lifting up my hands to you in prayer. You satisfy me more than the richest feast. I will praise you with songs of joy. I lie awake thinking of you, meditating on you through the night. Because you are my helper, I sing for joy in the shadow of your wings. I cling to you; your strong right hand holds me securely.



Today’s Notes from the Scriptures



A personal relationship with God through Jesus Christ has the potential to be more intimately satisfying than any earthly connection.

King David recorded his experience in Psalm 63. Our heavenly Father wants to have a loving bond with us just as He did with David. Making a firm commitment to know Him is the first step, which takes priority above all other matters.

David described his passion to know God as an intense thirst (v. 1); the apostle Paul likened his dedication in pursuing the Lord to a race (Heb. 12:1-2). When we pledge ourselves to the lordship of Christ and seek after Him with our hearts and minds, we will find our souls becoming satisfied.

Once we resolve to follow diligently after the Lord, our next step is to spend time in His Word. The Bible is God’s revelation of Himself and His plan for the world.

Making time to read and meditate on Scripture is essential for every believer. That’s how we learn who God is, how He works, and what He desires for us and for the body of Christ.

When we strive to know and understand a biblical passage, the Holy Spirit will make the meaning spring to life. God is pleased by followers who make it their goal to deepen their relationship with Him.

Dedicating time to knowing and experiencing God is a critical step toward a satisfying walk with Him.

Begin today by making a pledge to pursue Him more diligently and taking time in your schedule for regular study and prayer.
Your heavenly Father is waiting to meet with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment