Wednesday, February 1, 2012

How We Finish the Race



Today’s Bible Verse: 2 Timothy 4:7 
“I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.”


Words of Devotions

“Unfinished”—a word used to describe a great symphony written by Franz Schubert. Today admired as one of the great composers in history, Schubert achieved little recognition during his lifetime. Born on this day in 1797, he was only 31 years old when he died in December 1828.

Who among those alive at that time could have imagined what riches he had left behind? Gradually, his compositions were discovered, often by accident. Some had been bundled in cupboards and cellars. His “Unfinished” Symphony was found in a chest and not heard until 1865. Many compositions, including five symphonies, were unearthed in a publisher’s house in 1867.

As his music was discovered, later generations marveled at the quality of his work and how so few of his contemporaries had recognized his genius. How could a man so brilliant have lived such an isolated existence, unappreciated and overlooked?

Schubert left an incredible legacy of music, but it’s hard not to think about the tragedy and loneliness of his life. In spite of all that he wrote, he left much unfinished. One wonders what more he could have done.

As we look at ourselves, we have an opportunity to consider our reason for living and the purpose of our lives. What is God’s plan for us?

Toward the end of his life, Paul could look back and state with confidence, “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.” He had clarity about his life’s mission and what God had called him to accomplish. And he was sure he’d been faithful to complete those tasks. He had “finished the race.”

Think for a moment about your life. Have you left anything unfinished? Have you given up? Or are you on the way to finish the race God designed for you?

Prayer:  Father, I commit my life to You. It’s my desire to please You. Help me finish the race You have prepared for me. In Jesus’ name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment