Friday, December 9, 2011

Advent Season … Selective Hearing


Advent Season … Selective Hearing


Today’s Passage: Isaiah 6:1-13


In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord, high and exalted, seated on a throne; and the train of his robe filled the temple. Above him were seraphim, each with six wings: With two wings they covered their faces, with two they covered their feet, and with two they were flying. And they were calling to one another: “Holy, holy, holy is the LORD Almighty; the whole earth is full of his glory.” At the sound of their voices the doorposts and thresholds shook and the temple was filled with smoke. “Woe to me!” I cried. (1-5a)



Words of Devotion from the Scripture


At the time, I was certain I had properly understood my grandmother.  Even now, I don't even remember exactly what it was that I had wanted to do, but I made plans to do something... and later learned that she hadn't given me the permission I thought I had received. Looking back, I suspect she said, "We'll see..."  Instead, I heard, "yes."

Have you ever been accused of having selective hearing?  Or hearing what you want to hear?

Today's scripture reminds us of the danger in having ears that hear, but don't understand.  Isaiah was called to preach to a group of people who weren't going to listen to him... hardhearted people who were going to hear what they wanted to hear. 

We face this danger every time we hear a sermon or open scripture.  Our tendency is to read what we want to read... and to hear what we want to see.  We expect God to fit into the boxes that we construct for Him, and to act according to our expectations.

This Advent, we're reminded that Jesus didn't come the way people expected.  Instead, he came as a baby in a dirty unprepared manger, and placed in a smelly feed trough and born in a rough stable behind a busy inn.  May our eyes and ears be open, that we see Jesus when He comes to us today.


PRAYER: Almighty God, I confess that there are times when I limit you by my own preconceptions and expectations.  I have heard what I wanted to hear... I have read what I wanted to read.  And there have been times when I have missed your call because of my own preoccupation.  Give me ears to hear, eyes to perceive, and an understanding heart.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment